Well having decided to put together a small homelab and purchased a HP Microserver Gen 8 for the purpose I decided to go a head with VMware ESXi for the hypervisor, some thing new and we all like a challenge right?
Well its defintely been a challange in retrospec Hyper-V might have been easier but anyway I’ll get the process down well its still fresh in my mind.
Setup is currently the bog standard microserver, so 4gb Ram, celeron 2.3, 32GB USB stick and 2 X 2TB SATA drives… memory and processor upgrades yet to come.
Downloaded the HP specific version of ESXi 6.5 and mounted it via ILO, install is pretty stright forward, click next a few times, pick the USB stick as install location etc, happy days until you get the “you dont have over 4GB memory” (MEMORY_SIZE ERROR) error message and it kicks you out of the installer…
Eventually worked out a way around it with the following instructions from noteis.net
So when the memory size error occurs press ALT+F1 to drop you to the command line, login with root and blank password then
cd /usr/lib/vmware/weasel/util rm upgrade_precheck.pyc mv upgrade_precheck.py upgrade_precheck.py.old cp upgrade_precheck.py.old upgrade_precheck.py chmod 666 upgrade_precheck.py vi upgrade_precheck.py (search for MEM_MIN_SIZE and find (4*1024). Replace 4* with 2* and close after saving. ps -c | grep weasel ( find the python PID ) kill -9
upgrade_precheck.pyc didn’t exist on my install possibly being the HP version but I’ve left the step in there
When you kill python the installer restarts and you can get all the way through it, lovely job
So with the hypervisor installed time to play, started off with a Server 2016 install and so the issues began.
Wasn’t expect things to fly along on a celeron with 4GB but the install took over 3 hours, neither CPU or memory anywhere near maxed out, so looked to be a disk issue. In ESXi the max speed seen on the array was 30meg/s, installing ubuntu server and testing that showed an average of 5meg/s. Not great.
dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/output bs=8k count=100k; rm -f /tmp/output
Heaps of research managed to tie it down to to crap RAID drivers in a nut shell.
I gather current wisdom is to use the scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88 drivers in ESXi 6 and 6.5
So you need to enable SSH in ESXi (host > Manage > Services > Enable SSH)
Then using filezilla or another FTP client FTP the scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88OEM.5184.108.40.2061820.x86_64.vib across to /tmp
Stop all your VMs, enable maintenance mode either via the web GUI or SSH to your hypervisor and
esxcli system maintenanceMode set --enable true
Then SSH to the hypervisor
cd /tmp cp scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88OEM.5220.127.116.111820.x86_64.vib /var/log/vmware/ # Remove the scsi-hpvsa driver esxcli software vib remove -n scsi-hpvsa -f #Install scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88 esxcli software vib install -v file:scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88OEM.518.104.22.1681820.x86_64.vib --force --no-sig-check --maintenance-mode reboot
Rebooting and logging back into ESXi I found my data store gone along with both my VMs 🙁
Checking the raid driver I found it to now be on the ahci driver, so in essence we need to disable this to force it to roll back to our 5.5.0-88 driver.
Again ssh into the hypervisor and
esxcli system module set --enabled=false --module=vmw_ahci
You can check it worked via
esxcli system module list
You should end up with this
Reboot again run a disk speed check again in ubuntu.
I’ll take 150meg/s!!
So thats ESXi 6.5 up and running on a 4GB HP microserver, more challenging than I was expecting but have to say I’m liking ESXI so far.